Monday, March 14, 2016

Shabbat Zachor; Vayikra - Conservative

Leviticus 1:1−5:26

By Rabbi Ismar Schorsch, provided by the Orthodox Union, the central coordinating agency for North American Orthodox Congregations for MyJewishLearning.com

Addressing Our Loved Ones


While God commands Moses, He also calls to him affectionately.


I never heard my parents address each other by their first names. They showed their mutual affection, which remained palpable till late in their lives, by using pet names. My father called my mother "Mutti"(from the German word for mother–Mutter) and my mother always called him "Schatzi" (from the German word for treasure–Schatz). As my father aged, he developed the habit of saying "Mutti" to himself audibly and often, without ever intending to attract her attention. Alone in his study, he would emit the sound of her name when he rose from his desk to get another book or just reclined to rest for a moment. She was clearly the anchor of his life.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   

No comments:

Post a Comment